Friday, June 11, 2010

Dresser Hardware Upcycle

Ok I had one of those "DUH!" moments.  I have been slowly redecorating my bedroom, or should I say finally getting around to doing something in our room for a change.  It seems I have decorated every other room in the house but our bedroom always came up last.  So one weekend while my husband went on a fishing trip I thought I would surprise him with painting the bedroom, and changing it around a bit.  Well I bit off way more than I could chew.  But its coming along, I'll be posting more about that later. 

Anyhow my "DUH!" moment happened when I painted our dressers.  Originally they were stained but with the wood floor it clashed in color.  Besides I painted the walls a Tiffany blue and the stained oak color just didn't do it for me.  So I thought I would paint them black, oh my gosh they look fabulous.  The problem was with the hardware, they had black hardware on them.  So I thought I would go buy more modern hardware, in a stainless or those really cute glass knobs.  Problem being that they cost a fortune and I'm just too cheap to spend that much on new knobs.  Sooooo it dawned on me one day, HELLO spray paint them!  After all I liked the shape of the old hardware so why not? 

This was them before, perfecty fine hardware just not on a black dresser.

First I put on a coat of Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint in a stainless/silver color.
Then I applied an acrylic black, and rubbed it off before it dried so it was just left in the creveses.  Then a top coat of clear sealer.  Voila!!

Check it out, what do you think?  I saved approx. $100 for both dressers.  Pretty proud of myself :)


Praise God for YOU!!!
Read more: http://www.mylivesignature.com/wizard3_2.php##ixzz0miIcUbIS

No comments: